About Me

My photo
Michigan/Arizona, United States
I am a textile artist who loves to design fabric by painting, printing, stamping, and manipulating cloth.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Vintage Pages completed

     These pages are a lot different from my previous work, but I did enjoy using more paper than paint for a change (I do miss the colors!).


     This was my mother's cousin, Catherine, who lived nearby in a beautiful home (her husband was a lawyer) while I was growing up.  I used to babysit for her when I was in high school.  Fond memories. . . .


     My favorite aunt, my mother's sister, Lena.  She and my uncle had no children, but they had a knack of making me feel welcome--I loved going to visit.  Aunt Lena was a fastidious housekeeper and always dressed beautifully.  She became my girls "grandmother" after my mother died, and made them her special companions.  She lived to be 92.


     And my Mom. She was a stay-at-home wife and mother who was always involved in many activities and valued education (she had put herself through college as a nanny).  She loved to sew and made most of my clothes, including several beautiful prom dresses.  Unfortunately, she died of breast cancer in 1965 at the age of 56.  I was only 26 (do the math) and my daughters were 4 and 1 years old.  Karen has vague memories of her which involve food, but Amy has none.  I regret that Mom and I didn't really get to know each other as adults, but I had a wonderful childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment