I'm now in the process of putting together another piece using scraps of felted fabric left over from a project last winter. I had three small sections of two different (but related) materials, none of which were large enough to make a 5 x 5 inch square. Solution: I cut them up into 3 x 2 and 2 x 2 pieces and sewed them back together again. (Forgot to take pictures in progress!!!) If you look closely at the photos below, you can see the seams.
After constructing all three squares, I used a stencil to emboss a piece of sheet copper with three different leaves, cut them out. and sewed one down on each square.
Last night I stitched small x's (using copper metalic embroidery thread) across the background of each piece, but this morning I'm not sure I like the whole effect--too many, too small. I may snip them out and add a few larger, more scattered X's using the same thread. Hmmmmm.
And here's the third square on a piece of brown art paper. I am thinking of using this over the foam core and adding a bit of purple Lumiere paint with some copper shadows. I'll try it out on a scrap before committing. I'll be back. . . .