I really enjoy this process, especially using leaves. Notice the sample color dots up in the upper left-hand corner--this really helped me see how the colors would work on the previously-dyed fabric. After completing the design, I made a quilt sandwich and free-motion stitched with black thread across the whole piece. Then I constructed the journal as usual:
and the back (notice I included the color dots). The colors of the whole piece are more intense on the actual fabric. When I took the photo, there was a shadow on the right half and I had to lighten it with Photoshop, making the final result a bit faded. Darn. Oh well, I still had fun creating the design.