About Me

My photo
Michigan/Arizona, United States
I am a textile artist who loves to design fabric by painting, printing, stamping, and manipulating cloth.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Birds!!!

I am a Michigan birder (fiber artist) who winters in Arizona and am visiting my daughter in Rhode Island.  We received nearly a foot of snow the day after Christmas, and the birds began flocking to her feeders.  We discovered a bird who should not be here this time of year (according to David Sibley's book):  a Swainson's Thrush, buffy eye-ring and all.  I can't get a good picture of him/her because of skittishness ( a technical birding word), but he/she is making good use of the suet feeder.   
While I am out here, my daughter asked (insisted) that I use my new set of traveling water colors, to make her a set of bird sketches.  Since I had just taken a water-color sketch/journal class from Jane La Fazio in San Diego, I decided to try.  My technique is a bit fuzzy, but it was fun!!!  The above sketch is the afore-mentioned thrush.  I haven't put in any background yet.
Chickadee and peanut-butter pinecone.


No comments:

Post a Comment